I moved into my new place last December & I’m still constantly making changes to really make the space my own. My last apartment was full of old IKEA furniture from college & stuff I hadn’t parted with for years so when I moved I vowed that no college piece or hoarded box would stay longer than 6 months no matter how “sentimental” it was. I started with the big ticket items: a few new pieces of white (duh) furniture & my new space was ready to be styled.
Whether you’re moving into a brand new space or you’re looking to update your current home, these 5 simple changes will go a long way.
1. Curtains. I never realized the difference big ol’ pieces of cloth could make. For the first 6 months of living here, I utilized the blinds on a daily basis (gross), not really giving a flying pair of Ferragamo’s that my windows were naked. It wasn’t until I saw how a friend’s home transformed with curtains that I picked up my own in white (are you picking up on a theme?) You can find a huge selection of relatively inexpensive options at Kohl’s that carry a huge bang for the buck.
2. Rugs. These bad boys also go a long way at pulling a room together. My space is oddly shaped with hardwood floors so it helps to section the different areas with neutral colored (grey + black) rugs. RugsUSA has great deals & TJMaxx usually has some great options for an absolute steal.
3. An organized coffee table. It’s almost impossible to be a blogger with a messy coffee table when 50% of my Instagram feed is always the perfectly styled tabletop however, I also use mine as a kitchen table & desk most nights. I’ve compromised by styling the left half of my coffee table with a white tray filled with books & topped with a patterned bowl that catches extra bobby pins & change & leave the space on the right for fresh flowers, my laptop, & what Paleo recipe is for dinner. Check out this video if you’re stumped on how to style yours.
4. Throw pillows. These fluffy piles of goodness immediately spruce up any situation. From a dingy couch to your bed, add a throw pillow (or 10) into the mix for instant chic. Per usual, I’m a fan of keeping things neutral & within your color palette. My apartment is filled with whites, blacks, & greys, with little specks of gold throughout. My throw pillow game is the same.
DS tip: Play around with animal prints & textures if you’re keeping your pillows neutral. You don’t always have to incorporate color to have a little fun!
5. Display your favorite things. It’s a constant struggle finding a happy place in between a crisp & clean apartment devoid of all personal touches but oh-so-beautiful & bare & displaying every tchotchke I’ve accumulated since birth. I met in the middle & spray painted any colorful frames or bare wood white or gold & was able to display my favorite things without my apartment looking like aisle 7 of Hobby Lobby.
For more home inspo, head over to my Pinterest page.
& now for a Fashion Week time out because I leave in less than 24 hours & OMG. I’m still torn on how I should relay my NYFW experience to you guys. I know why I go but I don’t know what parts of it you care most about. Do you want to know my favorite parts about what I saw on the runways or would you rather hit up Style.com for those details? Do you care what parties I attend & who I saw or is that too People magazine for you? Would you prefer I write about what really goes behind the scenes? Should I post a rundown of my day? Fashion Week is one of my favorite things about my blog & I want to try as best I can to make it enjoyable for you! Let me know what you want out of my trip in the comments below.
Shop the post:
Compensation was provided by Kohl’s. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for District Sparkle to stay open!