For the past however many years, I’ve been bleaching my hair and subjecting it to heat on a near daily basis. Obviously, that takes a significant toll over time however, my hair is relatively healthy due to the products I use. Recently, I’ve gotten a lot of questions about how I keep my blonde healthy (check out my favorite product line here) so today I’m sharing my secret weapon with you: hair oils.
It took me awhile to figure out exactly how and when to use hair oils – at first, the thought of putting oil back onto my hair was a little daunting. But once I realized how much healthier my hair looked and felt, I was hooked. Particularly on the dry, fried ends of Day 2 or Day 3 hair. Work in a little oil from the ends and it’s totally refreshed. Bonus? Oils are a great sealant and heat protectant so don’t be afraid to add a little when your hair is still wet.
- Kerastase Elixir Ultime Spray Oil // Best Oil for Hair Health – Unlike the other oils listed below, this one is a spray. I use this after every time I wash my hair; While it’s wet, I spray a generous amount all over and comb through. It’s a great source of nutrients (hence the hefty price tag) and leaves hair super smooth. I highly recommend this one for all ages and all hair types.
- Ouai Hair Oil (c/o Octer) // Best Oil for Shiny Hair – This is one of the most popular oils on the market right now (it’s sister product, Ouai Wave Spray, is a top selling texturizing wave spray) which is why I gave it a test drive. It’s super light and leaves your hair extra shiny and smelling like cinnamon.
- Dessange Replenishing Oil // Best Oil for the Price – The best option for the beauty guru on a budget. At just under $12 it won’t break the bank and honestly, does just as good of a job as my other favorites here.
- Paul Mitchell Marula Oil // Best Oil for Thin Hair – Another cinnamon smelling oil, the consistency of this one is a little more watery making it the perfect oil to use on Day 4 hair to combat dryness and build up. This one can also be used as a pre-shampoo scalp treatment.
- Living Proof ‘No Frizz’ Nourishing Oil // Best Oil to Combat Frizz – The absolute best oil for combatting frizzy hair. It’s a little heavier than the aforementioned ones so use sparingly, but this one will do right by your hair even on the most humid DC summer day.
How to apply: With the except of #1, pump a nickel-sized amount into the palm of your hand and rub your palms and fingers together. Using your hands as rakes, rake through the last 3-4 inches of your hair, focusing on the ends. To combat frizz and flyaways, lightly rake your fingertips through the part in your hair and any flyaways around your face.